Your questions answered

Below you’ll find the answers to the questions that students often ask. We’re here to help. If you can’t find the answer to your question here or if you want more information, please email us at

What do I do if I need mental health support while studying at the college?

There’s free mental health support for students. This includes the Student Counselling Service, student support staff, partnerships with local support organisations and access to Togetherall. Find out more about mental health support.

If you are struggling with your mental health, or have suicidal thoughts and need help now, please contact your doctor or call 111 (NHS 24) or 999. Or contact Samaritans or Breathing Space who are both available 24 hours a day 365 days a year 

What do I do if I need study support while at college?

Please don’t struggle alone. If you need study support, our learning development team is here to help. You can speak to your lecturer, or email You can also go to student support to see how we can help. 

I’m a carer. Where can I go for support and advice?

If you have caring responsibilities, let us know by ticking the box on your course application, funding application, and/or enrolment form. You can also ask your tutor to complete a ‘carer support plan’ with you. You can update your details on the student portal at any time to tell us about your caring responsibilities. Please do let us know so we can give you flexibility and support while you are at college. Visit student support or email for more information 

What do I do if I need to take time off college? 

If you need to take time off, let your lecturer know as they will be able to discuss the various options available. If you would like to access any of our support services, such as counselling, email For information about how absences may affect your funding email 

I have a medical condition that affects my attendance. Who do I speak to about this?

The college is keen to support you. If you have a medical condition that may affect your attendance or any aspect of your learning, please let your lecturer know. They can tell you how best to proceed and help you submit any medical evidence.

Can you help me apply to university?

Yes. Many of our students progress to university from our courses. We visit classes to ensure students know how to apply. We’ll give you information about deadlines, and hints and tips for your application. Our Skills Development Scotland Careers Adviser can also help with personal statements. Find out more about routes to university.

How do I get involved with the Student Association?

You automatically become a member of the Student Association when you enrol at the college. There are many ways to get involved with it. To find out how, see Student Association or drop into the Student Association office next to the main reception on campus. You can contact the Student Association at  

I’m looking for a part-time job to support my studies. Can you help?

Yes, we can support you to find a job while studying with us. The Student Association works closely with local employers to advertise jobs. Email for more information and for support to find part-time work. 

English isn’t my first language. Can you help me with my studies?

Yes. English is not the first language of many of our students. We are here to help. Please email us on so we can arrange support.

I’m deaf. Is there sign language support?

Yes, we have British Sign Language (BSL) specialists who support students. Please email to find out more and ask for help.

I can’t get in touch with my lecturer, what do I do?

All staff can be contacted by email and through Teams message. However, you can also ask to speak to the Curriculum Manager for your area or Administrator.

How do I make a complaint?

Our aim is to get things right first time, so we value our students’ comments and suggestions. We’ve a range of customer consultation and feedback mechanisms to help us improve our levels of service. However, because we recognise that sometimes our service may fall short of expectations, we value any complaints that we receive.

To make a formal complaint go to complaints

I’m struggling financially. Is there support at the college?

Yes, we can offer support and guidance to students studying with us. Visit our bursaries and finance pages to find out more.

The bursary team can also provide support and advice. Email

I’m finding the course too difficult. Who can I speak to about my options?

Don’t struggle alone. We want to help. Please speak to your lecturer first as they can discuss the issues, options for support and next steps. For a general chat about options, email or come to the Student Advice Centre.

Can I get free sanitary products at the college?

Yes. You can order these online and have them delivered to your home. We also have products on campus in female and accessible toilets. If these are temporarily unavailable, you can collect them from the Student Association office next to main reception. For more information email

Can I get extra help if I am care experienced?

If you are care experienced, please let us know. You can do this by ticking the box on your course application, funding application, and/or enrolment form. You can also update your details on the student portal at any time. If you tick the box to say you are care experienced, your named staff contact – our Guidance and Support Advisor – will get in touch to let you know what support is available. For example: 

  • visit to see our facilities  
  • guidance/advice on funding, childcare, discretionary payments, accommodation and travel 
  • fast-track funding applications 
  • introduction to the learning development team 
  • additional support services, such as counselling, community pastoral support, mindfulness and yoga classes or local mental health services 
  • regular meetings and ongoing support

Are there any student activities I can take part in?

The college offers all students free mindfulness and yoga classes during the term. There’s information about these and how to join in on the student wellbeing and health team page

Or email