Our Schools programmes allow those in 4th, 5th or 6th year to get experience of college education alongside their school subjects. You will study at our East Kilbride campus and get the full college experience, being taught by our outstanding lecturers in purpose built facilities.
We have a long-established relationship with schools in South Lanarkshire and East Renfrewshire, offering the courses that will allow school students to stand out from the crowd when looking at their next steps after school.
There are many great benefits of studying a school programme at South Lanarkshire College, including:
- gaining an insight into a specialist area before applying for a full-time course or taking the next step in your career
- learning in purpose built facilities that are designed to provide students with the skills and experience for a future in that industry
- getting the experience of being a college student, making it easier to transition from school to college or university
- meeing new people and make new friends
- meeting and be taught by industry experienced award winning lecturers that will provide you with specific career information, networking opportunities and knowledge for your future career
- gaining a formal qualification that will make you stand out from the crowd when applying for your next steps after school
Our schools courses allow students to gain experience of college life alongside their school subjects. They are:
- stimulating vocational courses for senior phase pupils (S4 to S6)
- last for one year and run on the South Lanarkshire College campus within school hours, with transport provided
- pupils leave school one day a week to come to the college to study a qualification at National 4 or 5 that they may wish to do after leaving school
- there’s a range of qualifications on offer from Higher Nationals to National Progression Awards
- pupils who apply via their pupil support teacher at school can apply for a place on a variety of different courses
How to apply
- Find a course by clicking on our course list and filter by 'Schools programmes'
- You can apply for one of our courses in consultation with your pupil support teacher by either speaking to the school or email your name, school, year group and preferred to course to gw17slcGradu8@glow.sch.uk
It’s best to send your application form in as early as possible, and at least by the end of February if you plan to start college in August. If you have any questions please use the contact form where a member of the team will be back in touch
Our course options include senior phase programmes, Foundation Apprenticeships and Winter Leavers. Find out more about options:
Senior Phase Programmes
Senior Phase Programme
The Senior Phase Programme is open to S4, S5 and S6 pupils from schools across the South Lanarkshire region and from East Renfrewshire Council. Senior Phase courses are designed to be studied along with the current school curriculum. Time spent in College ranges from 3 hours to 9 hours per week dependent on course studied. A range of qualifications are on offer from HNs to NPAs.
South Lanarkshire young people:
In consultation with your Guidance Teacher you can apply for one of our exciting courses at SLC. To apply, please complete our application form and pass to your Guidance Teacher, who’ll make sure we receive your application. We recommend you submit your application form as early as possible and at least by the end of February if you plan to start college in August.
East Renfrewshire young people:
In consultation with your Guidance Teacher you can apply for one of our exciting courses at SLC. To apply, please speak with your school about your application.
Foundation Apprenticeships help young people in S5 and S6 gain valuable, real-world work experience and work-based learning while you’re still at school. The courses are taught over 2 years for S5 and 1 year for S6.
Whether you want to go to college or university, do a further apprenticeship or go straight into work, a Foundation Apprenticeship can help.
You’ll contribute to work-based real-life projects which will complement what you’ll learn in the classroom and at college
Find out more about Foundation Apprenticeships
Winter leaver programme
Winter leaver programme
We also offer a winter leaver programme for schools students which:
- helps pupils in S5 (or deferred entry in S4) with the transition from school to further education and training
- is open to pupils whose date of birth does not allow them to officially leave school until December of their S5 year
- runs over three days a week and from the beginning of term in August until the last week of term in December of the same year
- gives pupils have the option to study Business, Construction or Care
To find out more about our Winter leaver programme and courses available email email@example.com