Supporting students who are care experienced
We're committed to supporting students who have care experience, are in care, or are about to leave care. Our student services team will work closely with you to ensure you have all the support you need to settle into college life. We'll work with other services and agencies so you get the support you need.
The support we offer
- individual support from your guidance and support adviser
- discussion of course options and help to complete the application and personal statement
- arranging a visit to the college so you can see the facilities
- guidance and advice on funding, childcare, discretionary, accommodation and travel
- fast-tracking of your bursary and discretionary funding applications
- introduction to the learning development team, if necessary
- help to get other services, such as college counselling, pastoral support or mental health services
- regular meetings to review how you are getting on
- discussion of how you are progressing with your studies and support for next steps after college
- free yoga and mindfulness classes through the student wellbeing team
Corporate Parenting Plan
The College is identified as a ‘corporate parent’. Our duty is to focus on the support and promoting the wellbeing of looked after young people.
Care Experienced Bursary
- Care Experienced Bursary available to students undertaking a qualifying FE course.
- Maximum award is £8,100
- Select the Care Experienced Student Bursary option to confirm you meet the eligibility criteria (evidence of this is required)
- HE students should contact SAAS (saas.gov.uk) for further information.
- visit the Advice Centre and speak with a member of the student services team
- self-refer by signing into the student portal and clicking on the ‘care experienced’ button. This will generate a message to the guidance and support adviser who will then contact you to discuss the support available before, during and after college
- email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of the team will contact you directly