Veterans and service leavers at college
We recognise the importance and value of all the training and experience accrued during military service and look forward to working with veterans and service leavers in their college journey.
We’ll provide essential and relevant careers information, and advice and guidance to help you make informed decisions about your education and future career.
You can self-refer as a veteran or service leaver by signing into the student portal and clicking on the ‘veteran’ button. This will generate a message to our student services team. They will contact you to offer support. You can also visit the Advice Centre for more information and to speak to a member of the student services team, or email Student.Support@slc.ac.uk.
- one-to-one support from your named staff contact before, during and after your time at college
- discussion of course options and advice and help to complete forms such as funding applications, childcare, discretionary and travel costs
- advice on how to access health and wellbeing support services in the college, such as the Student Counselling Service, pastoral support team and free yoga and mindfulness classes
- liaising with internal and external partners on your behalf, if you want this, to ensure you are fully supported during your course
- support with next steps after college
Armed Forces Covenant
We signed the Armed Forces Covenant in 2019. The Covenant ensures support for members of the armed forces with education, housing, career prospects, healthcare, financial assistance and more. More information about the Armed Forces Covenant.
By signing the Covenant, we demonstrate our commitment to ensuring that those who serve, or have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly.
To support veterans and families we’ve introduced one-to-one guidance and support with a named guidance and support adviser for; a designated web page for veterans and their families; and information for veterans in our Guide to Applicants and Student Handbook.
Strategy for our veterans
UK Government strategy that recognises the contribution of members of the armed forces to society and looks to review the delivery of public services to veterans throughout the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/strategy-for-our-veterans