Students on Further Education (FE) Courses

This information applies to students doing courses at levels 1 to 6 on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF).

More information on qualification levels.

For HNC/HND, degree or any higher-level course, visit the page on funding for Higher Education courses.


You should apply for an FE college bursary or Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) if your course is:

  • SWAP
  • Higher studies
  • National 3, 4 and 5
  • SCQF Level 4, 5 and 6
  • City & Guilds
  • SVQ 2 and 3 and NC

You apply for the FE college bursary and EMA online through the college web portal at

Instructions on how to apply

More information on EMAs, childcare payments and bursaries.

Tuition fees 

We usually waive the cost of tuition for full-time non-advanced-level students who are ‘ordinarily resident’ in Scotland at the start of their studies.

There’s information on funding and the cost of learning on the Scottish Government website 

Find a course...