What will I study?
This group award consists of 5 SQA unit credits.
To achieve the NPA the learner has to pass five mandatory units:
- preparing management accounting information
- analysing accounting information
- preparing financial accounting information
- professional ethics for accountants
- recording transactions in the ledger
In completing the five units you will:
- gain knowledge and skills in gathering, preparing, presenting and recording management and financial accounting information using a range of accounting techniques.
- develop an understanding of the use and importance of the accounting information on making decisions about planning, control and success on an organisation.
- develop an ability to interpret and analyse accounting information, and an understanding of accounting standards and practices.
- develop an understanding of ethical responsibilities of an accountant, and appropriate and inappropriate behaviour in an accounting environment.
Next Step Course Options
The NPA was specifically developed to meet the underpinning knowledge component f the Foundation Apprenticeship in Accountancy, and the award provides credits towards the Foundation Apprenticeship. Learners who successfully achieve the FA may wish to go on to complete the full Modern Apprenticeship (MA) in Accounting.
Learners who successfully complete this NPA could also progress to HN programmes in Accounting or appropriate national courses at Higher and/or Advanced Higher level.
Opportunities to study towards professional body qualifications such as Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) Certificate in Accounting at Level 6 would also be available to candidates that complete this qualification.