Intro to the course:
This is a Level 4 ESOL course that will suit anyone who wants to study at college or wants to improve general written and spoken English for the workplace. The course will focus on the following:
- writing for a college setting
- researching and preparing essays, referencing, PowerPoint presentations, making notes, linking words, structuring writing, research skills and writing reports.
- reading – reading styles and strategies
- how to read effectively for different situations
- speaking - giving presentations and contributing in a workplace or classroom setting
- pronunciation of complex vocabulary
- listening – listening for gist, detail, & opinion
- active listening in class and note taking styles and techniques.
- vocabulary – overall academic and professional vocabulary and modules relating to specific subjects as appropriate (e.g. business, childcare etc.)
- grammar – Appropriate grammar points throughout the course.
The course will follow an ESOL National 4 syllabus but will also include first language English modules in the following subject areas:
- information Technology (I.T. and computing)
- customer care
The National 4 is designed for those who have a reasonable level of English. The aim of the course is to provide students with a good understanding of the English language for speaking, listening and reading. It is to aid progression to a higher level ESOL course and/or employment.